Saturday, May 7, 2016

Happy Mother's Day to my sweet friends . . . something for you from one of Rockland's finest minds.

The courage that my mother had

The courage that my mother had
Went with her, and is with her still:
Rock from New England quarried;
Now granite in a granite hill.


The golden brooch my mother wore
She left behind for me to wear;
I have no thing I treasure more:
Yet, it is something I could spare.


Oh, if instead she'd left to me
The thing she took into the grave!-
That courage like a rock, which she
Has no more need of, and I have.
"The courage that my mother had" by Edna St. Vincent Millay, from Collected Poems. © Harper Collins, 1981. (Thank you Garrison Keillor -- Reprinted with permission by The Writer's Almanac.)
Baby Edna
(with dog of course . . . you know me!)


No comments: