Friday, January 14, 2011

Washing Wool

Swore I wouldn't get the soap and buckets out during the winter, but I have five assorted fleeces or partial fleeces -- all dirty fibers -- to transform into clean play stuffs, and just don't think I can wait until the springtime! Cotswold, Ramboullet, llama, CVM, and Blue Faced Leicester all sitting on the floor and begging for attention. Started some yesterday and will keep up with small batches as much as possible this weekend. Really wishing for a local mill to take them away and turn them around back to me ASAP, but that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.




Surprisingly, the little guy Igby shows no interest in the fleeces, in spite of his nasty fecal habit tendencies.
 

Jeric, however, periodically likes to shove his nose into a pile of fluff, sniff, and sometimes rub his head in the fibers. Yes, this is the guy who will roll in deer or some other wild creatures poo when found out on a stroll.



Tomorrow is NOFA/Mass' Winter Conference and Guild members Betsy and Lisa will present a workshop on carding and spinning. I'm missing it, but so glad that our wool world is making inroads at NOFA.

Last weekend we learned to use a hackle, and I made carded batts, at Chris' home during our Saturday Guild meeting. I loved blending my hand washed, hand dyed with natural dyes, assorted fleece fibers into unique fiber "roll ups."


Now, looking to my LARGE collection of handspun to put some projects together for  the future.

And, hoping to get some sheep in snow photos together soon, taking advantage of the 16  or so  inches we had fall this week.

Full time fiber fun.

No comments: